“Now me and sloppy joe got married
we got six kids and we’re doin’ just fine.”
-Lunch Lady song by Adam Sandler
I adapted this recipe from Post Punk Kitchen.
- 1 cup uncooked green lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 green pepper, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 4 to 6 rolls
Cook the lentils in water until very soft. Drain and set aside. Cook the diced tomatoes and tomato paste down into a sauce.
In a large saute pan, heat olive oil and add peppers, onion, and garlic. Saute until soft. Add lentils, spices, and tomato sauce.
Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through. Turn the heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes.