Week six is also moving week. Here’s where we’re at:
replacing the kitchen floors, removing the kitchen, insulating the pantry (bijkeuken), installing an outside tap, replacing the pantry ceiling, replacing the bathroom floors, re-tiling the bathroom walls, removing a wall to open up one of the bedrooms, plastering and painting the entire house.
prep the walls for the plasterer, install a new kitchen, build a banister, install the old kitchen cabinets in the shed, rerun the internet cables to a more sensible place, rewire the electricity on one of the floors, remove metal from and repair the brick facade, insulate a window, replace basically every light fixture, build a cabinet around the electrical meter, install a door in front of a storage space, install pantry shelves, install beer cellar shelves, fix the front wall, replacing the sinks in both bathrooms and replacing the toilet.
In an effort to actually get the kitchen installed, the boyfriend and I both left work early on Monday and headed to the house. After a few more hours of chipping away at the wall, the bottom cabinets all finally fit. Celebrations were had.
Tuesday, the painter finished all of the walls except for the kitchen (which can’t be done with a sprayer) and got the kitchen primed. The contractor got the last of the small things done upstairs (replacing a light switch, putting in side boards). We had to order more sideboard for one room upstairs so that didn’t get done.
Meanwhile, we had my most amazing friend Claudia come over to help who demanded in exchange for her labor that she be mentioned by name and with a photo in the blog. She got some things painted and we took out a lot of recycling. We also cut the worktop for the kitchen, which was terrifying, since if you screw it up, you’re just out a whole lot of money. Fortunately, we did not screw it up.
On Wednesday, my mother-in-law arrived, ready to clean. We ran a bunch of annoying errands (taking stuff to the recycling center, taking stuff for donation, picking up our dresser from Ikea) before coming back to the house and cleaning. She managed to scrub down the bathroom, which was covered in construction dust, while the boyfriend and I kept at the million small things with the kitchen. We then discovered that, although the dishwasher itself fit, the front panel wider than the dishwasher and thus did not.
We were both free on Thursday and we got to the house to discover our contractor was there putting the final touches on the kitchen floor. With his help, we figured out a solution to the dishwasher door issue and made quick work of putting in the doors, etc for the kitchen. We went home on Thursday night, thinking we would have an easy next day. All we needed to get done on Friday was prepare for moving. Or so we thought.
Read what happened during Week One: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday and Sunday. Week Two: Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and Saturday and Sunday. Week Three: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and Saturday and Sunday. Week Four: Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday through Sunday. Week Five: Monday through Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.