“I like refried beans. I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they’re just as good and we’re just wasting time.” -Mitch Hedburg
The total lack of immigrants from Latin and South America in this country results in a complete void of decent food from those regions. There is one Mexican restaurant in town and it is essentially the Don Pablo’s of the Netherlands. Instead, I make my own. And what I’ve been craving lately is refried beans. This is another great recipe that I adapted from Closet Cooking.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon Sirarcha
- 2 cups Cannellini beans, cooked
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onion, garlic and cumin and saute until onions are clear.
- Add the beans, broth, salt and pepper, Sirarcha and simmer until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and mix in cilantro and lime juice.