“Quinoa was used to sustain Incan armies, which frequently marched for many days eating a mixture of quinoa and fat, known as “war balls.”” -Karen Railey
I’ve really been loving quinoa lately. It’s really tasty and high in protein, so it makes a great addition to soups and salads.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz black beans
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Lime zest
- Salt and pepper
- Cook quinoa with vegetable broth.
- While quinoa is cooking, combine beans, corn, avocado, tomatoes, and onions. Toss with half cilantro and lime zest.
- When quinoa is cooked, toss with olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste. Allow to cool.
- Spread on a platter and top with salad. Garnish with remaining cilantro.