“Is there chicken in chick peas?” -Helen Adams
I got the idea for this recipe from the Meatless Mondays website.
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 teaspoon + ¼ teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup peanuts, toasted
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 large onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup pineapple, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Salt & pepper to taste
Soak the chickpeas over night. Cook chickpeas in 2 quarts of water, with a teaspoon of sesame oil and ¼ teaspoon of red chili pepper flakes. Drain chickpeas and combine with teriyaki sauce and chili pepper flakes. Marinate for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 200F. Spread peanuts on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until peanuts are toasted.
Dice onions, peppers, and pineapple. In a large pan, heat remaining sesame oil. Add onions and saute until clear. Add peppers, pineapple, peanuts, and chickpeas. Cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes until all ingredients are heated.
Serve over rice.